How do I file my taxes when I move to another state?

One of the questions people ask themselves when moving to another state is “How do I file my taxes when I move to another state?”

Assuming the state you are moving into collects an income tax, you will have to file a part-year return for every state that you have lived in within the year. For example, if you lived in California and New York, you have to file for each of them.

However, states like Alaska, Nevada, Texas, Florida, Wyoming, Washington, and South Dakota are income tax-free states. Which means you don’t need to file an income tax return if you live in one of these states.

How about if you move from a taxable state like New York to a tax-free income state like Texas? Do you still need to file an income tax return? Well, it depends on your situation.

If you are still a registered resident of New York but working in tax-free Texas, you still need to file an income on your resident state return.

Furthermore, if you live in Texas but earned money in New York, you still have to file a return of your earnings as a non-resident of New York.

Now, if you move from taxable New York and become a resident of tax-free Texas, you don’t need to file your return anymore.

Dealing with taxes, especially if tax season is just around the corner, can be quite confusing. But moving is another story – it is much easier and less complicated, especially if you have an expert moving company like Sam’s Movers.

Let’s say you’re moving to Florida, before you call your local Tampa movers, make sure you check out these tips first.

The first step with tax filing is to check your local state tax authority’s website. Here you will be able to find useful information pertaining to the paperwork you will need. This website should also contain the special forms that you will need to use to fill the paperwork.

If you come from a non-tax free state and are moving to another non-tax free state you will have to fill two state tax returns. This could be in the form of a part-year tax return form for each of the states. (The one you previously lived in and the state that you will be moving to.) There is also a difference between non-residency and part-year residency so you have to make sure that you do not have the both confused with each other.

There are a lot of other considerations so one must be very careful when figuring everything out.